Sunday, July 5, 2009

GPS And Map Distance

I found my GPS. Long before this happened I'd commented on the Amazon product link warning that the belt clip on the GPS holder wasn't reliable. Now I have proof, not just suspicion about it.

I found my Cibola National Forest map. It appears to still be T/S/R style mapping, so the squares are 1 mile. It looks like I hiked almost exactly a mile from where I parked to the trail head. From there it looks like we headed West across one square, and Southwest across another to a fork marked on the map. We had stopped at a fork in the trail, both with blazes, that looks a lot like the fork on the map. So 1 + 1 + 1.4 = 3.4 miles one way, 6.8 miles both ways. That would explain why I'm so beat.

I have pictures, but none have been offloaded yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment