Monday, July 13, 2009

Tonight's Adventures

Most recently I went to Clark Field and walked around it many times. I went two miles, but was thwarted from going farther by an upset stomach.

Earlier today I drove out to the ranger station in Magdalena. The guy manning the front desk was useless. But I kept asking him questions until he passed me off to one of the guys in an office. The new guy wasn't nearly as useless, but he still couldn't answer most of my questions. Eventually he passed me off to someone else, who just happened to have all the things that the first two had no idea about. Perhaps the most interesting thing I learned is that the Cibola National Forest has a trail crew now. It's been at least a decade since they had one.

I think Clark Field will need to become a somewhat regular part of keeping my legs moving. It's close and reliable. No hills or interesting terrain, but it saves a tremendous amount of gas since I don't have to drive to it.

Because of the troubles I've had with track logs I bought a different GPS. The new one is cheaper, still has 10,000 tracklogs, and boasts a more sensitive receiver than my Gecko 201. The forest services guys prefer it to the $3000 professional Trimbles that they are given by the forest service.

No comments:

Post a Comment