Saturday, July 4, 2009

Water Canyon on July 2nd, 2009

From 20090702


Thursday after work I went out to Water Canyon alone. I headed West from the campground, up what used to be an old barely passable road. The entire area up there has been improved since I was last up that way. I'd noticed that camping was no longer allowed at the Water Canyon Campground, and the improvements are why. Just up a well made road is a camping area with firepits, latrines, trash cans, tent pads, and picnic tables. Even further along is a gated and fenced in group camping area with handicapped parking and a huge group of picnic tables. Just past the group camping area the road reverts to being in poor shape, though only for about 50 meters. It's a good road if you can get past that one bad part.

All total, I hiked about three miles I'd guess. The GPS batteries didn't make the entire trip with me, but they did the first half which is the track log you see above. I took a few pictures, which you can see below. Pulling times out of the GPS tracklogs I've made, I find that my batteries had been with me for about 14 hours before they died. I had used the lightweight and expensive lithium batteries. Amazon tells me that I should get 12 hours of operation on alkaline batteries. Customer comments tell me that 12 hours is unreasonably optimistic for it, and six is more like it. Perhaps I'll try some alkalines and see how long they last compared to the lithiums.

No comments:

Post a Comment