Sunday, April 24, 2016

706 meter hike!

I went on a 706 meter solo hike yesterday.  It was probably a little more than that, though not much.  I wouldn't add more than 10 meters to my number for the fudge factor.

It was slow going, and by going slow I didn't feel like I brutalized myself too much.    But by the time I made it back home I was quite sore.  But I felt better than I usually do the first time I try to overexert myself after a long hiatus.  This morning I felt quite sore getting out of bed, but it wasn't bad.  I guess the extra walking I've been putting in on flat ground has been paying off.

I'm not entirely sure 706 meters is right though.  I have this nagging suspicion that it's only 353 meters.  Back in the 1990s the Socorro SAR team measured hikes in elevation.  My number of 706 is assuming that elevation lost counts as much as elevation gained.  The hike took a little over 10000 steps, so it was a respectable bit of walking, even if coming down didn't count.

I hammocked at the top, of course.  I also tried stringing my hammock tightly, to see how it worked.  I think I could sleep in a tight hammock.  Saturday I plan to invest in some kind of mosquito protection for my hammock.

I also tried some store bought beef jerky.  I'll make a separate post about that though.

No comments:

Post a Comment