Sunday, April 24, 2016

Vigil's Beef Jerky Co: Original

This is part of my plan to rethink my eating habits when in the wilderness.  I'll be trying new products and seeing how I like them.

For yesterday's hike I tried out some "Vigil's Beef Jerky Co" original/salt beef jerky.  One side of the package is labelled original, the other side is labelled salt.  I suspect this is normal, as their other flavors are trendy modern flavors (green chile, teriyaki, etc), and salt is more traditional.

It was less than $9 for 85g of beef jerky.  Ingredients were beef, salt, granulated garlic, and soy lecithin.   This is real beef jerky, made of sliced dried beef, unlike most beef jerky which is some kind of moist beef paste pressed into sticks with lots of weird chemicals added.  The only weird chemical here is soy lecithin, which is a bit mysterious as to why it is added.  Perhaps to encourage the granulated garlic powder to stick to the beef.

Overall, I'm happy with it.  It wasn't too salty, and tasted like beef.

No comments:

Post a Comment