Sunday, June 21, 2009

Gear Talk: Junkbag

And now, a proper inventory of my newly revised junkbag!

ItemWeight
SAR patch, Starkweather-Moore patch, Kanik patch12g
film canister with matches16g
shoelaces18g
bag26g
ziplock with toilet paper40g
waterproof notebook with waterproof pen80g
AMK ultralight 0.5 first aid kit90g
LED converted mini-maglight96g
Victorinox98g
pouch containing trash bag and space blanket134g
U-Dig It shovel154g
pouch with compass, mirror, medical alert tags, whistle162g


TOTAL: 910g

I'm sure I could pare that down to half that weight. The shovel, for instance, is a luxury; I can dig a hole with a stick. The internet tells me that weight-conscious hikers carry a razor blade instead of a knife. There are much smaller LED flashlights out there I could acquire. The patches are only 12g, but I don't really need any of them. I don't do SAR, so the SAR patch and the Kanik patch could be left out. The Starkweather-Moore expedition to Antarctica is fictional, so it never served a purpose at all, other than I'm a big fan of H.P. Lovecraft.

No comments:

Post a Comment