Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Oh What A Brave New World This Is

I was at REI today to pick up my new shelter, a large Outdoor Products tarp. Tarps are great. I use my trekking poles to hold it up, and I can tie it off to random trees. I'd already discovered that there have been major advances in guylines. Instead of buying multi-strand parachute cord sheathed in more nylon, I bought some very light reflective cord. Today, however, I learned that similar advances have led to more modern tarps. My Outdoor Products tarp is heavy, and thick. At REI I found a 5'x8' siltarp. It's razor thin, waterproof, and weighs nearly nothing. It probably isn't as durable and it costs more than the bigger heavier tarp, but the size and weight made it very attractive. I bought one. It's been less than ten years, and so much has changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment