Thursday, June 18, 2009

Other adventures beyond the Magdalena trails

Back in the mid to late 80s me and my friends worried about global thermonuclear war. In the case of a war, we were to gather everything we could find and retreat to a cave in the Magdalena's. I haven't been there since high school. I should go back. It isn't a long hike.

Chaco Canyon is another obvious choice. Even if I didn't need to get in shape, Chaco Canyon is well worth visiting. There are a good handful of trails there.

Up near the Capitan Mountains there is a llama outfitter. They offer day hikes for just under $100 per person. That would be kind of fun.

The Catwalk is a good destination. $3 per person I believe.

Turkey Creek is definitely coming up soon after my testicle gets fixed.

2 comments:

  1. I like the Chaco Canyon hike up on the mesa to that ruin up there . . . yeah, can't remember the name. But you see Pueblo Bonito and the staircase.

    They charge for the catwalk? I didn't remember that. My first backpacking trip was from above Mogellon (sp?) and ended up at the catwalk 2 or 3 days later. Were you on that trip? I think so since you had some pictures from it. I just remember Scott Madison's snoring. Wow!

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, I was on that hike. I want to do it again, actually. I don't remember the names of the trail at Chaco, I've only been there once that I remember, but I bet I went as a child too.

    ReplyDelete