Thursday, June 25, 2009

Road Hike And Hammock Report

We went 7.87km this evening, with 353m of elevation change. I also tried out my new hammock.

From 20090625


We left Socorro at 19:00, so it was still light. I achieved my distance goal, but I didn't feel good doing it. I had hoped I would be able to easily achieve, and surpass, the goal, but that didn't happen.

We went up the "trail" that departs from the campground. It isn't marked or official, but it's there. The rock pools and waterfall used to be my favorite place to go as a child, but the stream hardly ever flows now. Brad remembered there was catnip there, and there still is catnip there.

There were a lot of glow in the dark bugs out this evening. Far more than we saw on Tuesday night.

The trip down wasn't nearly as hard on me as it was Tuesday, which is a nice improvement. I think I've strengthened up my knees enough to go down easily.

The hammock is nice, but has one easily noticeable drawback. The old hammock was mesh, the new one is solid cloth. If I tarped over the old hammock it didn't matter if rain hit part of the hammock since it didn't collect. This new hammock looks like it will easily collect water so I can't use my tiny 8 by 5 foot tarp with it in the rain. Other than that, it is easily as big or bigger than my old hammock. Rated to 400 pounds, so it will easily hold me. Overall, this is a nice hammock.

Also, laying in the hammock in the dark looking up at the stars through the trees was very nice. Far more pleasant than the hike up the Mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment