Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Introduction: I "don't have two months"

Earlier this month, in June of 2009, I went to the doctor because of a medical issue. It had been a year and a half since I'd a had a check up, so the doctor looked at a few things. I had gone in with some mysterious swelling, and I left with knowledge that my triglycerides were 900+ and my blood sugar was 400+. I wanted time to think about this and change my lifestyle a little, but the doctor was quite adamant that I didn't have two months. Her exact words were, in fact, "You don't have two months." I'd felt fine, but my A1C is 13+. The swelling is just a hydrocele, and it gets removed soon. The diabetes is a stern shape-up-or-die message.

My long term "retirement" plans had always been mountaineering. Over the long run, the mountain wins. Right now, I'm faced with death by diet. Not a fun prospect. My friend the mountain will provide me with a far better life. I'll be thinner, healthier, and I'll have a lot more fun than I currently do sitting around the house playing World Of Warcraft.

This is my attempt at self-motivation. When I go on adventures, this will be my main journal of them. I can also use it to plan and announce adventures. I plan to cross-post to my other online activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment